April 22, 2005

Seminar

I went to my 'first' graduate or higher seminar today -I know what have I been doing with my time? Imagine, if you will, a room full of post-structuralists nodding their heads sanely while this Dr Dude out the front embeds the wildest assertions about the nature (or lack thereof) of 'tings into his presentation. Its a pity that my other supervisor hadn't turned up - he would have gone wild. And I mean WILD - and he would have definitely used the word incoherent. Ahh, these university guys - they all know each other anyway.

Call ME reactionary, but when someone says Yes, language determines the nature of physics, my dander gets up.

Anyway, I took notes and copied the (extensive) handouts that were provided and I've got some other readings, and a contact out of the 'effort' of going. To be fair, the presenter handed out an excellent overview / flowchart that he'd drawn up; it indicated what intellectual traditions are involved in this area (dating back to the Enlightenment) and how they connect with each other. I'll probably end up creating an electronic form of this document and uploading it - it makes the ground a lot clearer for someone interested in the history or ideas / and the firmness of reality I think.

There have been moments recently where I've felt like I should be getting a job a buying a house. The world moves on and here I am playing 'laptop man and the thesisicons' - perhaps I want my cake and to eat too. Going to today's seminar really reminded me how much it is that I love this stuff. A world of ideas, of thinking, of questioning how it is that things are. This world is not easy to come by. Not in most jobs anyway.

No comments: