February 19, 2011

More staples and an unpleasant surprise

Stardate 19022011: Finished off the staple pulling today. But under a cloud. Settlement was supposed to happen but at the last minute a previous tenant filed a caveat. On the property. Preventing the settlement from happening. The first I knew about this is when the vendor phones me, obviously upset and apologizing  - I assumed about not cleaning up the property - but in reality because of what has happened. 

Unpleasant surprises have this quality to them, namely being both unpleasant and a surprise. You're out there renovating and you turn up a rotten board or a damp section of ceiling. Well this is unpleasant - perhaps - but not really a surprise. Or perhaps it's a surprise, but it's hardly unpleasant. You can after all cut a section out and fix it up. Unexpected 3rd party legal hassles - this may well be the epitome of unpleasant surprise. At any rate it makes me appreciate all of the nice people I've met out in this part of the world. 

So, without knowing that I should be keeping about the Kobayashi Maru scenario in mind I've torn up all the lino (before settlement) and now I'm facing having to finish off a job on the floor *just in case* this deal goes South and I end up with no house. So I spent part of the day pulling tacks and trimming in good fresh timber into my (?) new floor. The local hardware store had meranti so I used that to fix up where there used to be walls and I also patched the section of floor that had been attacked by wood worm at some point. I also used a some plasterer's tape and 

So where to next? Well who knows? All these are over a shed (admittedly 100' x 20') that was leased by a previous owner of the property who sold it to the current owner of the property. As I understand it the terms of the lease weren't met and so the current vendor was able to evict the shed tenant and sell the property to us with vacant possession. Vacant possession being a condition of the sale contract. So we'll have to see I guess. 

In the end timber remains a wonderful thing to work with. Such integrity and wholeness to it. And clean. Sawdust - is there any finer mess? I doubt it. 


And so the day ends with a cheap red. All's well that ends well. 

No comments: