April 08, 2005

The claims of social constructionism

Its been a while since I've managed to say anything about my uni work, despite me spending day after day working on or around it. I had to do a presentation today to let the honours coordinator know that I was on top of things and that everything was moving ahead. I gave my best impression of coherance and presented a 20 page paper that I'd prepared. In this paper I basically outlined a brief and very limited history of social constructionism, the main claims of social constructionism, a brief outline of how a consideration of this would inform an empircal document based study and a small reflection as to why any of this is of interest anyway.

The claims of social constructionism:

1. Individuals engage in communication processes that generate meaning and create knowledge (moderate)
2. Social phenomena are created, institutionalised, and made into tradition; there is an implicit relationship between human thought and the context within which it arises (moderate)
3a. There is no given, determined nature to the social world or to people who do not contain 'essences’ that make them in any way what they are
3b. Anti-essentialism: There is no given, determined nature to the world or to people who do not contain ‘essences’ that make them in any way what they are
4. Anti-realism: Knowledge does not arise from direct access of reality (moderate)
5a. Anti-realism: Knowledge of the social world does not arise from access to reality; there are no objective facts about the social world
5b. Anti-realism: Knowledge does not arise from reality at all; there are no objective facts about the world.

No comments: