April 04, 2005

Hacking the ibook

I've thought of another nice feature of the iBook - you can cut and polish it! Seriously the polycarbonate shell (sounds much more 'tech' to me than saying 'covering') responds very well to a dose of cutting compound - my ibook's lid had numerous striations running across its surface from being slid into and pulled out of my Crumpler McBain's Baby L. A good hand cut and polish really reduced these minor surface imperfections.

At the moment I'm kind of leaning towards an ibook, especially if I could get something like a 12" G4 1.2 demo unit or even a second hand example (I saw a one and half month old unit - the updated model with built in Wireless - advertised on the wall at Uni for AUS$1400. Hmm, I like the idea of 'project' mac and something like that would suit if the price was 'right'. Thinking along project/low end terms has led me to dredge up a few links that may be of interest. Various people have hacked their ibooks to add such things as internal bluetooth, a larger hard drive in the dual USB G3 ibook and in the current model G4 ibook which is somewhat easier to do because it does not not require the bottom plate of it's shell removed.

No comments: